Saturday, April 19, 2008

I doubt it

According to reliable statistics (duh!) and the EPA, "Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,400 lung cancer deaths and 46,000 heart disease deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year.4"

Having just entered my 88th year, 75 of which I smoked one form of tobacco or another; and all of which I lived in the homes of others who smoked even more than I did, I seriously question those death figures. I have known and helped bury many smokers who succumbed to emphysema, lung cancer, strokes and heart failures. I have yet to know one person, of any age, whose death was certified as due to the effects of second hand smoke.

What I have noticed in this modern era of PCitis is a desire by persons who don't like the smell of burning tobacco or stale smoke to try to legislate their prissiness by overstating the almost miniscule harmful effects of second hand smoke. There are worse pollutants the EPA should spend their energies, and our tax dollars on.

And most of the PC people I know could use a good smoke, for their health. They are usually overweight and over-coffeed, which is not good for fetuses either.

3 Comments:

At April 24, 2008 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

88 years? a typo, yes?

 
At April 25, 2008 8:33 AM, Blogger BJMe said...

Yes. It is my 78th year.

Thank you, O Watchguard of my youth.

 
At April 25, 2008 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome, of course.. And may you still be as vibrant at 88,as you are now..
ME

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection