Friday, March 21, 2008

Silver tongued seducer

Obama is a smooth talker and he gave an excellent speech saying much about racism in America that was worth hearing from a political candidate. But he exposed a capacity for verbal deviltry when he justified his minister's virulent racism and hatred of America by comparing it with the trepidations of an old woman who probably holds timid fears at every stranger she encounters, But Barack snuggles up to his own passively racist white supporters when he says of Reverend Wright:

"I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Wright's pronouncements from the pulpit, apparently, never made Obama cringe like that because he never was told them to his personal face... He says...Uh huh.

I think if Barack had made this speech earlier in his campaign, without the need to defend himself personally but just as an expression of his hope for an end to racism in America, I might have found him a much more appealing candidate than I did. I now find him very unappealing and seriously suspect in his values and intentions.

He is building a fan base to try to win a nomination and an election, but is he building a coalition of supporters with any plans or expectations beyond that? Do I hear "Change"? Just what kind of change? Nickels and dimes? Barack Obama is small change to me. I would have to see what he can do for Illinois before I jump to the conclusion that he can accomplish anything for America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection