Sunday, November 02, 2008

Late to the party

My favorite comic book hero is a pseudo-dead guy known as The Spirit. Denny Cole was a very human and fallible force for good in the big city fantasy noir of my youth. He is daring, handsome, healthy and as likely to play the fool to a lovely lady as to smack down with great graphic flourish the worst of the local evil doers.

Frank Miller is bringing his movie view of The Spirit to the big screen this December. I have to confess a certain tremor of the heart as I read about it in today's LA TIMES. The article describes much of the appeal of artist Will Eisner's original creation and its appeal to Miller. Part of my heart tremor was excitement at the anticipation of a movie I have long wanted to see made. Another part was the fear that it wouldn't be any better than Miller's previous films. But I will screen The Spirit early in its run and sincerely hope that the spirit of The Spirit will prevail.

3 Comments:

At November 03, 2008 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll probably like the females in it.. One being Scarlet Johannsen, a fav of yours? I don't like her, or Eva M., so I won't care to see it..
It would need one of my fav actors in the title role to tempt me..
Also, I don't remember that particular comic book..
ME

 
At November 03, 2008 4:18 PM, Blogger peterme said...

Sigh. I fear it's going to suck, because while Frank Miller is a decent comix artist, he's no filmmaker.

But I, too, will probably go see it.

 
At November 03, 2008 4:42 PM, Blogger BJMe said...

I am a serious Spiritualist. I used to wear a dark blue suit, fedora and dark glasses in emulation of The Spirit. I know I am asking too much of this movie but what's another broken heart to an aging romantic?

Will Eisner, I think, may have written the first graphic novel; something about The City and its suffering minions. At any rate, Frank Miller and most current graphic novelists owe their visual style to Eisner's comic strip creations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection