Sunday, September 14, 2008

Serendipity

Why didn't anybody tell me that V For Vendetta was a good movie? I had to stumble across it on FX tonight. I don't remember reading any reviews when it came out so I must have off-handedly relegated it to the same same trash bin as all recent movies trended from overheated and murky graphic novels. But more than the usual juvenality, V is also an unapologetic political satire and strident attack on the facistic grasping of govermental power and authority so prevalent around our world.

As the title informs, this is a revenge story. And I love revenge stories that dish out the serious punishment. But V is also a love story, violent and tender and more complex and sophisticated than anything I can think of for recent comparison. There is, for instance, one long punishing sequence inflicting pain and cruelty on the beautiful and vulnerable Evey that is, at the same time, both a metaphor and practice of the art of seduction.

But ultimately, it is in the art of destruction that V most entertains. The explosive finale over the 1812 Overture was a lovely and satisfying crescendo of sight and sound. Where is IMAX when I need it?

1 Comments:

At September 15, 2008 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched it when it was first released on dvd.. I liked it...
ME

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection