Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A Keeper Flick

Sometimes cinema quality holds up over time. Over 75 years is a very long time. I have been viewing ONE WAY PASSAGE for about 55 of those years. How many times, including in theaters and on TV, I wouldn’t want to try to guess. But as well as I knew the story, the performances and the scenes, each time I watched it there was one thing always fresh; the emotions I felt. This is a truly lovely movie. The faces are photographed to compelling perfection and the voices are transcribed with warmth and nuance by the Warner Bros. early Vitaphone process.

One Way Passage screens on TCM on Thursday, Sept.4. It is not available on DVD or VHS so setting your DVR or VCR tuner is essential, as this is a genuine keeper and something you will want to watch again. The opening shot, in fact, is something that cine buffs will want to re-view very quickly.

The TCM log line states: One Way Passage
NR Movie. William Powell, Kay Francis,
Frank McHugh. (1932) A condemned man
and dying woman fall in love on a ship from
Hong Kong to San Francisco.

Much more can be said about One Way Passage, but I’ll leave that for Robert Osborne.

3 Comments:

At September 12, 2008 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about a bad memeory.. After reading this, I realized I had bought that on dvd at Walmart a year or two ago.. I am almost sure of it.. I'll have to look through my stuff and see if I can find it.. It was in the $1 batch they had at the time.. I had also gotten a couple others..
ME

 
At September 12, 2008 9:10 AM, Blogger BJMe said...

Since One Way Passage has not been released on DVD it suggests that your copy was made off the TV broadcast and is not of good quality. It is playing again on the 22nd so if you didn't view or record it last week, you get another chance.

 
At September 12, 2008 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see... What a rip to copy and sell it packaged.. oh well, I got what I paid for..
It was probably a fair copy, if I remember right.
And thanks for letting me know..
ME

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection