Sunday, December 02, 2007

Bad Calls

There is a cliche in sports viewing that bad calls by the officials tend to even out. I don't agree with this piece of conventional wisdom, but I am not without an opinion on the subject. I contend that the better team always wins, despite being on the receiving end of bad, really wrong calls.

Pittsburgh (the university) was the visiting team and on the receiving end of several bad calls last night, especially near the end of the game. Nonetheless, they beat #2 West Virginia because -- yesterday -- they were the better team on the field. This was evident throughout the game. The Pittsburgh Panthers were better than the West Virgina team and the officiating team combined.

Last Sunday, undefeated New England Patriots barely squeaked out a come-from-behind victory over the lowly, but inspired, Philadelphia Eagles after having received a horrendously bad interference call, late in the 4th quarter, that gained Philadelphia the lead. Temporarily.

I cite these two examples of what I mean when I say the better team is seldom, if ever, defeated by bad calls. Being the better team, or playing the better game that day, will always prevail over bad officiating.

That has long been apparent to me in sports. I think I now recognize this is also a rule in life -- which is full of bad calls. To be a winner, you have to overcome bad calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection