Tuesday, November 22, 2005

GM not so good

It was Charles Wilson, the former General Motors president who said in 1953, “I’ve always believed that what’s good for the country is good for General Motors, and vice versa.

Coincidentally, in a creative writing class I took in Chicago in 1952 I responded to one assignment with a withering satire on the over-sized, over weight behemoths Detroit had re-tooled from their tank division to the manufacture of Buick Roadmasters. In my paper I exaggerated that a British MG could fit into the trunk of a GM motorcar.

A couple of years later the VW and other German autos began making inroads, but GM and Detroit were too committed to planned obsolescence and profit turnover to pay much attention.

Then came Japan. Then Korea. And soon appearing at your neighborhood car mart, China.

And with the Camry now becoming the hottest car buy in the world, I'm just hoping that what is good for Toyota is good for America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection