Friday, October 21, 2005

E-5

That's for Existential 5, the phenomenally smooth ride between L.A. and S.F.



I-5 generally gets bad-mouthed as a boring drive, but not by me. Sitting behind a wheel that needs almost no steering, over an engine purring smoothly under Cruise Control, with no views of changing landscape to distract him, there is little for the driver to do but reach down inside himself and meet the existential creature who is usually hiding there under blankets and coverlets of busyness.

I made the run from L.A. to Berkeley and S.F. - and back - last weekend. When my friend Travis, in Oakland, asked me how was the drive up, I told him I hadn't had a better six hours all year. And I still had the drive back to look forward to.


I made the run from L.A. to Berkeley and S.F. - and back - last weekend. When my friend Travis, in Oakland, asked me how was the drive up, I told him I hadn't had a better six hours all year. And I still had the drive back to look forward to.

The landscape doesn't change much in nearly 400 miles, but I do have my landmarks and touch-points.

This is just past the bottom of the Grapevine where the 5 splits from the old 99

San Francisco or Bakersfield, It's your choice.

If you take I-5,

this is what you get.

and this

and some more of this

Eventually you get an appealing sight like this recreation of a Mexican mission.


Plus glimpses of the great Pat Brown's thirst quenching waterway.
















And you know when you've left the Introspective E-5 when you see the windmills turn on your way to the coast.

And Trav, the ride back was just as good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection