Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Fresh Air

I miss wind wings. The flow of fresh air, directed as I wished, was one of the true pleasures of driving. A 1968 VW was the last car I drove with wind wings.


But, in a parade of progress, wind wing side vents succumbed to air conditioning, followed quickly by power steering, power windows, cruise control, power mirrors, power seats with lumbar support and memory, power brakes, GPS, back-up video, and more.

I love it all; want every bell and whistle I can afford. But can't I have it with wind wings?

2 Comments:

At June 01, 2011 11:43 AM, Blogger peterme said...

It looks like you're part of a movement!
http://classiccars.about.com/b/2009/06/08/auto-makers-please-bring-back-the-wind-wing.htm

 
At June 01, 2011 4:21 PM, Blogger BJMe said...

Thanks for the link; it is beautifully evocative of the wind wing experience. The mid-sixties Pontiac Firebird is also my favorite car that I've never owned. I featured it in a TV script once with the expectation that when the script sold I would by my Firebird. C'est la vie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection