Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carrizo Plain Drive



A stretch of the San Andreas Fault and the ephemeral Soda Lake are the only visible elements on this arid plain.


This is as far I was able to drive on one narrow dirt road. It was not wide enough to turn around on so I had to drive back down in reverse. It was also at this point that my GPS gave out, as did my Olympus camera and my cell phone had no service.


Back at a crossroads and another decision.





Apparently a choice between Soda Lake Rd. and Soda Lake Rd.









So I took Soda Lake Rd.


Ignoring the road closure warning, I pressed on because I am a dirt kind of guy.



And my road had plenty of it.



These were the only other vehicles on my road, but no occupants present.

I thought of dinasaur bones lying in a desert.

6 Comments:

At June 30, 2010 10:55 AM, Anonymous Julieme said...

And this is your idea of fun? Well, just never make fun of me again for enjoying shopping!

 
At June 30, 2010 8:04 PM, Blogger BJMe said...

Speaking of fun: a sharp turn on loose gravel over a dirt road is like hydroplaning on ice. Wheee...

 
At July 13, 2010 12:51 PM, Anonymous GregPics said...

Getting lost here seems quite a bit safer than Adrian Texas.

 
At July 15, 2010 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you had to be there, but it looked wide enough for a 3 point turn...
ME

 
At July 16, 2010 8:08 AM, Blogger BJMe said...

You are so right, Greg. Your comment led me back to the Adrian post: http://bjme.blogspot.com/2005/08/route-66-re-visited.html,
and its moment for me, then and even now.

 
At July 16, 2010 8:58 AM, Blogger Tia Tuenge said...

Looks like an exciting adventure! Sometimes it's nice not knowing where you're going exactly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection