Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Norton Revisited

How did I get myself back into this? I know, it was free.

Fry's had Norton SystemWorks listed at $69.99. But they were selling it last week at $60. Subtract from that the $20 Norton Upgrade discount. Also subtract the special Fry's only $40 discount. So I pay $4 California sales tax on a free item.

Plus, because I complained to Norton about their poor performance, as noted earlier, they added six months to my new subscription. What could be wrong with that?

I should have known. After installing SystemWorks, I immediately got a pop-up on my desktop advising me that I had a Trojan Horse that Norton could not remove. So I started the manual process they set up. But it didn't work. I called Norton India and spent more hours on the LD phone with pleasant, but non-supportive Customer Support people. Eventually, each of them told me they could do nothing for me and transferred me to Technical Support. Technical Support advised me that they could walk me through the removal process and it would cost me $70.

$70? This smacks, to me, of a scam.

I declined the offer and continued to work on the problem by myself. Eventually, after many attempts and re-starts, the Trojan Horse alert disappeared from the desktop. I don't know what I did, and I don't know if I actually removed the TH from my computer, but at least the annoying pop-up is gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection