Tuesday, December 20, 2005

American Red Cross


The Red Cross has taken a lot of flack, lately, regarding its disaster relief reactions. I don't doubt the justification of some complaints, but one thing cannot be discounted, and that's the ongoing and very effective, life saving collection of human blood..

I first donated blood to the Red Cross about some 56 years years ago. Since then I have donated 120 units of blood. That's pints. Or 60 quarts. Or 15 gallons.

A unit of donated blood is usually separated and spread out to multiple patients. Sometimes one patient requires several units to stay alive. How many persons have lived because I spent an occasional hour of my time in a Red Cross clinic or traveling blood drive. I will never know. But today, I did it again.


















Don't miss your chance.

3 Comments:

At December 21, 2005 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have considered this many times, but I don't know if I can donate..
I take meds for high blood pressure. I do applaud you..
We have a nephew that had many transfusions when he was quite young, over 50 years ago..Thank goodness he was able to get the blood he needed from so many donors..
M.E.

 
At December 21, 2005 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a hero.
You always make time, and face the needle nobody likes, to give the gift of life to someone you will never know.

 
At December 31, 2005 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i sure do miss you. i hope you can come to my coffee shop one of these days. here ismy website and love to you. you are still cute.
www.welcomecafe.com. Christina. Former Starbucks girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection