Monday, April 20, 2015

Language as conundrum

According to Glenn Ford, who knew Will Rogers from the stables, the droll humorist never said, "I never met a man I didn't like." Or that is what he did say, but it was out of context. His complete statement was primarily about horses: quote, "I never met a man I didn't like who didn't like horses."

All well and good; but here is where I have a problem. Grammar. What is the difference between : I never met a man I didn't like who didn't like horses - and - I never met a man I liked who didn't like horses-? Both "liked" and "didn't like" seem to express the same opinion in this matter. How is it explained?

Any help in clarification will be appreciated and I thank you for your patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection