Sunday, April 01, 2007

Pig Power

I don't think I have mentioned it on this space, but about 18 months ago I damaged the rotary cusp of my right shoulder. Two tears, including the bicep attachment. Aside from other limitations this imposed on my arm usage, it also reduced my ability to swim and perform my usual fitness exercises.

Secure Horizons and the UCLA medical establishment offered me the corrective options of surgery or professional therapy. Surgical coward that I am, I opted for therapy. After a few months, I felt sufficient improvement in pain reduction to drop the surgical option and the professional therapy and to pursued my own personal therapy.

I have been plodding along with strength exercises, stretching and swimming for several months, doing okay, but far from getting back to my pre-tear days.

Last evening, Julie and I hosted one of my popular pig-outs. The main attraction of this big meal is a Harrington's smoked ham from Vermont. I won't elaborate on the menu, suffice to say that everybody (but Julie) ate and drank to something like excess. I, myself, woke up this morning feeling bloated and logy. Eventually, I eased myself to The Spectrum pool in a move somewhat like doing the Easter Week penance of my youth.

After a few laps, however, I found I wasn't tiring as quickly as usual. As the laps continued, I realized that I was swimming longer and stronger than I had for the last 18 months. My shoulder still twinged with some strokes and my head still felt a little mushy but as I approached the 60 minute mark I could only conclude that I had been endowed with the power of the pig. I have always been partial to pig meat for its superior flavor, and now I can appreciate the salubrious, restorative power of pork. The ham was large and I plan to enjoy it frequently during this week of Passover and Easter feasting.

L e chiem!

1 Comments:

At April 02, 2007 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha! The power of the pig... Lucky you..
I like pork, but beef more.. Neither give me anything, except the pleasure in their flavors..
M.E.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection