Thursday, August 31, 2006

Glenn Ford - 1916-2006

I have always like Glenn Ford. His performances had qualities of sincerity and humanity. He seemed a likeable guy on screen and I felt he probably was the same off. I know he never abandoned his friends, Like Bill Holden in his alcoholic deliria or Rita Hayworth, who was labeled an alcoholic or druggie when she actually suffered from Alzheimer's.

He also was the man man who explained, to my satisfaction, Will Roger's most famous saying. Ford was a teen-age friend of Roger's who helped tend his polo ponies. He says that what Will really said was, "I never met a man I didn't like, -- who didn't like horses." That, now, makes sense to me.

Nevertheless, It is hard for me to think of Glenn Ford without hearing a little ditty created at the piano by Ronnie Graham one night. It went something like this:

Glenn Ford, you're adored,
Ever since you made the movie Gilda.

Glenn Ford, you're adored,
More than Lee J. Cobb or Brandon de Wilde.

Glenn Ford, you're adored
May your ship of success never sink.

Though many tributes come your way,
I am here to say.....

Glenn Ford, (piano run up the keys) you stink.

I never saw a bad performance by Glenn Ford, or heard a funnier tribute by a fellow entertainer.

2 Comments:

At September 01, 2006 1:28 PM, Blogger BJMe said...

Bob Thomas adds these thoughts on Ford: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-ford1sep01,1,7465456.story

Though I thought his performances were often stronger than many of his co-stars -- Bill Holden and Sydney Poitier, included -- he never quite reached their levels of stardom -- even though he had left Canada at a very early age.

 
At March 04, 2013 3:30 PM, Anonymous Stracenerejjh said...

You need to disconnect the device from the computer it's connected to before you can resume using the MP3 player. ALIO DAB+/CD radio w/ dock - real wood veneer walnut. A standard 3.5-millimeter headphone jack allows you to connect BoaBuds to laptops, tablets, and MP3 players. Toss in the MP3 player and you have everything you need plus your wireless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection